|“||I'm honoring a friend. I must join the hunt, Percy. I haven't known peace since...since Half-Blood Hill. I finally feel like I have a home. But you're a hero. You will be the one of the prophecy.||”|
–Thalia to Percy, in The Titan's Curse.
Thalia Grace is the Greek demigod daughter of Zeus and the sister of Jason Grace. She was transformed into a pine tree onHalf-Blood Hill, which still stands as the official border for Camp Half-Blood to this day. Later she was revived with the Golden Fleece. She is currently the lieutenant of the Hunters of Artemis.
Zeus, Thalia's fatherThalia is the daughter of Zeus and Ms. Grace, a beautiful actress in her prime, but who had spiraled into alcoholism in later years. After Thalia's birth, Zeus left the Grace household (as is custom for gods) and Ms. Grace became unstable. When Thalia was about seven, Zeus returned in his Roman aspect,Jupiter. Thalia noted that Zeus in his Roman form was more fatherly and sterner towards her and spoke Latin very often. Within the year, Jason Grace, a Roman demigod, was born.Zeus felt obliged to keep appearing at Ms. Grace's house to please her, but departed a second time because she persisted him incessantly to grant her eternal beauty or a visit toOlympus. When Thalia was nine and Jason was two, their mother took them for a picnic, but when Thalia went to the car for the picnic basket, Hera/Juno took Jason away to Lupa, a she-wolf at Camp Jupiter. Thalia was heartbroken by her brother's "death" and called his disappearance "the last straw" with her mother and ran away from home, never to return, being this the reason why she only uses her mother's last name (Grace) only when it's extremely necessary.
After running away, Thalia came across another demigod, Luke Castellan, a son of Hermes. They became friends and joined forces to fight the monsters that attacked them. It is hinted that they had romantic feelings for each other. When Thalia was twelve, she and 14-year-old Luke found/ran into Annabeth Chase, a plucky blonde-haired seven year old. Luke admired her courage, and gave her his knife, and promised that he wouldn't fail her like her family had. The three of them stayed in different safe houses for protection and shelter, but when their nearest one was destroyed, and Thalia had an injured leg.Luke was forced to return to his home for supplies. The three of them met May Castellan, Luke's mother, and Hermes, Luke's father. As May bandages Thalia's injured leg, Luke and Hermes got into an argument, causing Luke to storm out of the house with Annabeth and Thalia following not too far behind.
Soon they were found by a satyr named Grover Underwood who tried to get them to Camp Half-Blood. Together, the quartet traveled to Camp Half-Blood but were chased by monsters from the Underworld because Hades discovered Thalia's existence and was angered that Zeushad broken his oath not to sire anymore children. They would have escaped, except for the fact that a Cyclops in Brooklyn stopped them so that monsters could catch up. The Cyclops held Thalia, Luke, and Grover in the air to direct the monsters in their direction, but Annabeth saved them by stabbing the Cyclops in the foot.
They also met the Hunters of Artemis, and Zoë Nightshade almost convinced Thalia to join the Hunt, but Thalia refused to leave Luke. She and Zoë argued and Zoë told her that Luke would disappoint her. Once they reached camp, a hoard of monsters attacked (all three Furies and an army of hellhounds), and sacrificing her life on Half-Blood Hill to protectAnnabeth, Luke, and Grover. Zeus took pity on his daughter and to prevent her soul from going to Hades, Zeus turned Thalia into a pine tree.
Thalia hated to be called "Thalia Grace" saying, "That's my mother's surname. I don't use it," when it was brought up. Her mother died in a car accident two years before Thalia's resurrection. Thalia might have been named after the ancient Greek muse Thalia of comedy and idyllic poetry or she could have been named after Thalia one of the Three Graces handmaidens of Aphrodite.
Thalia is a brave, strong and caring girl, though at times she can be stubborn, prideful and assertive much like her father Zeus. She likes to be in charge and give out orders to people and becomes very angry if they are disobeyed (normally by Percy). She also has a bit of a temper, as shown during the Capture the Flag match against the Hunters when Percy left his post causing them to lose the game, so she shocked him with electricity. In some ways she's very similar to Artemis, as she enjoys being around her fellow Hunters and is a great fighter. She is also very loyal to those she trusts and respects, as she is willing to risk her life to protect them (for example, when she sacrificed herself on top of Half-Blood Hill). Unlike her fellow Hunters, Thalia apparently does not mind being around boys, as shown in The Lost Hero.
Chiron once said that Percy and Thalia are very much alike. The only difference is that Thalia is more sure of herself, while Percy has less self-confidence.
Thalia's fatal flaw is that she has a weak resistance when she is offered power (mirroring Zeus's power struggle with his brothers, as she also conflicted with Percy over capture the flag, and when offered by Luke to kill the Ophiotaurus). She is also afraid of heights (acrophobia), a quality Percy finds strange and funny, as her father is the Lord of the Sky. In the short story, The Sword of Hades, in The Demigod Files, she also shows to be very determined. Thalia has trouble abandoning a difficult task that she has started but is not able to complete.
She also feels massive amounts of guilt about her brother going missing when he was little, as she more or less raised him on her own (her mother was an alcoholic, and therefore, unstable); she had believed for years that her mother had either killed or abandoned him on a family vacation. She never told anyone about this when she ran away, not even Luke or Annabeth.
|“||The girl in the lead had spiky black hair and a black leather jacket. She wore a silver circlet on her head like a princess's tiara, which didn't match her skull earrings or her Death over Barbie T-shirt showing a little Barbie doll with an arrow through its head.||”|
–Percy describing Thalia, in The Last Olympian
Thalia has shoulder-length or as sometimes described short, spiky black hair, electric blue eyes (though they are "stormy green" in Percy's dream of her in The Lightning Thief and stormy blue in Percy's dream in The Sea of Monsters), and freckles across her nose. She is described as being "extremely pretty" by fellow campers andApollo, (in The Titan's Curse, when he says "Man, I hate it when pretty girls get turned into trees, a reference to Apollo's love, Daphne") and is "beautiful", according to Artemis. She wears punk styled clothes. She carries a magic silver bracelet that turns into Aegis, a modified version of Zeus' shield, a gift from Athena. In the books, Percy describes Thalia's shield to have the head of Medusa (bronze) imprinted in the center to strike fear into her opponent's hearts. Many campers and monsters cower at the sight of Medusa's head on Thalia's shield. Thalia also carries a collapsible Mace canister which changes into a spear.
Thalia has been described as "punk" or "goth" with a forever present silver circlet on her head after she became a Hunter of Artemis, which looks like a tiara and according to Percy, symbolizes her position as the first lieutenant of the Hunters of Artemis. As a Hunter of Artemis she wears a silvery parka and camouflage pants. In The Last Olympian she was wearing a "Death to Barbie" T-shirt, with a picture of a barbie doll with an arrow going through its head, following with some skull earrings to go along with her shirt. According to Percy, it did not match the silver circlet in her hair at all.
Thalia makes another appearance in The Lost Hero, where Leo Valdez, upon immediately seeing her, instantly developed a crush on Thalia. He thought Thalia was way too pretty to be Jason's sister, and over the fire, Leo thought she looked like the goddess Khione, just as cold and beautiful. Leo also states that "Nah, (while assuring Jason) we were absolutely destined to meet your hot sister," although Thalia ignored this completely. Of course, Thalia is a Hunter of Artemis and has sworn off boys.
- ADHD: Like all demigods, Thalia possesses inborn supernatural battle reflexes and senses that she uses to analyze the fighting style of her opponent.
- Fighting Skills: Thalia has shown to be a formidable opponent with her bow and arrows, spear, shield, and herhunting knives. This is shown when she was fighting Iapetus in The Sword of Hades.
- Dyslexia: since her brain is hard-wired for reading Ancient Greek instead of modern languages.
Being the daughter of Zeus; Thalia holds divine authority over the creatures of the sky as well as weather, having powers that are greater than the children of nearly every other god.
- Aerokinesis: It is assumed that Thalia has aerokinesis (the ability to control air) like her brother Jason Grace, as her father Zeus is Lord of the Sky, but has not used it nor even tried it due to her acrophobia, fear of heights.
- Atmokinesis: Thalia has a minor degree of control over the weather. It is not even close to matching her father but she may be able to call lightning from the sky as Jason did a couple of times. Percy calls this her "daughter of Zeus thing" in The Last Olympian.
- Electrokinesis: Thalia has electrokinesis (control over electricity and lightning) due to her father, Zeus, the god of lightning. Calling down lightning bolts are a lot harder than emitting static, as it makes Jason ready to faint.
- Thalia can send powerful amounts of static shock throughout another person's body on contact. She can emit static sparks when she is angry, like Jason, which are described as being blue.
- Mist Control: Thalia can manipulate the Mist, which means she can make things appear as she wants them to appear to the eyes of a mortal (taught to her by Chiron, shown in The Titan's Curse).
- Zeus' Authority: Things that belong to her father's domain can do as she asks, such as statues of the angels in The Titan's Curse, which were gifts to her father. They, on her request, flew her and her friends to San Francisco.
- Immortality: Thalia became Artemis' lieutenant (replacing Zoë Nightshade) in the end of The Titan's Curse, and as a result she is immortal, unless she falls in battle, chooses to leave, or falls in love.
Aegis, her shield*A copy of Aegis that expands from a shiny silver metal bracelet that she wears on her wrist. The shield is decorated with an image of Medusa's head, which many of the campers and monsters cower from.
- A collapsible spear that expands from a Mace canister, which she uses to direct her powers.
- A Hunter's bow, given to her after joining the Hunters.
- Two hunting knives that she can use to direct electric blasts.
Luke her former allyIt was hinted that before Thalia became a Hunter, she and Luke had a romantic past as she told Zoe that she wouldn't leave Luke behind. That was changed when Luke betrayedCamp Half-Blood in The Lightning Thief. It further dissolved after Luke poisoned her tree inThe Sea of Monsters. In The Titan's Curse, Thalia was noted by Percy that she was crying when she fought with Luke, and she stated that she hadn't known peace since she'd traveled with Annabeth and Luke. One of the reasons Luke betrayed Camp Half-Blood is because he thought it was what Thalia would have wanted, but this is never verified. Also, Luke apparently never got over the fact that Thalia got turned into a tree and her father, Zeus didn't "save" her.
In The Lost Hero, Thalia called Luke and Annabeth her best friends, and it was shown in The Titan's Curse that Thalia was extremely worried about Annabeth when she was abducted and wanted to rescue her. She even took a falling statue for her in The Last Olympian.
Thalia gets along with Grover reasonably well. Grover was the first Keeper that was supposed to deliver Thalia and the other two half-bloods (Annabeth and Luke) to Camp Half-Blood but failed to do so. As a result, Thalia had been forced to confront a massive amount of monsters that were sent by Hades to hunt them down. Though extremely powerful, Thalia was overwhelmed by their numbers and very nearly perished. However, her father Zeus took pity on her and turned her into a pine tree. The tree, later known as "Thalia's tree," served as a magical barrier to Camp Half-Blood. Once Thalia was alive again, Grover and Thalia's friendship remained strong. She sometimes calls him "Goat Boy."
Like their fathers, Thalia and Percy share many similarities. Despite their tendency to fight, they consider each other close friends. It was Percy who was the first male that Thalia hugged after officially becoming a Hunter, saying "I am honoring a friend."
Thalia may have a sense of friendship or respect in Piper, considering she saved her "baby brother" and she wasn't like all other Aphrodite girls. It is not mention, but it is likely.
|“||Your disappearance was the last straw. I ran away and never returned, even when Mom died a few years back.||”|
Jason is Thalia's little brother. It was seen in The Lost Hero that she loved Jason very much and that it almost killed her when Jason was sent away. She also said that what happened with Jason had hurt her so much that she never mentioned Jason to Annabeth or Luke, her two most trusted friends. It was the disappearance of Jason that caused Thalia to finally run away from her broken home.
Thalia has a very rough relationship with her mother, and that she was always drunk and acted like a spoiled child. Thalia's lack of patience was part of the reason Thalia ran away; the other reason being losing Jason. Thalia's mother eventually died in a drunk driving accident.
Thalia remains loyal and obedient to her sister Artemis. It was stated by Jason that Thalia had found a new family in the Hunters and a new mother in Artemis.
Thalia and Zeus aren't close, but in the ending of The Titan's Curse, it was shown that Zeus was proud of Thalia. InThe Titan's Curse, Kronos tries to anger Thalia by hitting their car with a bolt of lightning, which would cause Thalia to think her father was after her.
|“||That's it, Thalia Grace. I will turn you into an aardvark, so help me—||”|
–Hera arguing with Thalia in The Lost Hero
Like every illegitimate child of Zeus (except Jason), Thalia is detested by Hera. When they encounter each other, Thalia quarrels with her stepmother. During The Last Olympian, Hera purposely made a statue fall, aiming for Annabeth but Thalia jumped in the way and was pinned down to the ground by the legs. Thus, she was unable to help in the fight against Kronos. In The Lost Hero, Thalia was arguing with Hera about reviving Jason after Jason accidentally saw her divine form.
Before Thalia was a hunter, she had thought Apollo was hot. Now that she is a hunter, she probably does not think that anymore.
Thalia is a Greek name meaning To flourish, Bloom, which could be tied with the fact that Thalia was a tree and then bloomed out when the Golden Fleece healed her. Thalia is also the name of one of Muses, Thalia, Muse of Comedy and also a Daughter of Zeus. Her last name is tied to her half-siblings, the Graces.
- She, Bianca di Angelo, and Nico di Angelo are the only Greek Half-Bloods of the Big Three who's aging has been tampered by their godly parent, which differs them from Percy greatly.
- If Thalia had never been turned into a pine tree, according to her date of birth, she would be 21.
- Thalia, ironically, has a fear of heights, even though her father, Zeus, is the lord of the sky.
- Thalia's last name wasn't learned until The Last Olympian.
- In The Lightning Thief, Thalia is said to have stormy-green eyes and when Percy has a dream about her in The Sea of Monsters, she is said to have stormy-blue, but when she is revived from being in tree form and in the following books she has electric-blue eyes.
- When Thalia meets Apollo for the first time, she refers to him as "hot", and not just because he is the sun god.
- Thalia loves cheese burgers. Every time she ends a journey with Annabeth or Percy (or both), she'll ask them for hamburgers.
- The name 'Thalia' is also the name of one of the three Graces, hence her name: 'Thalia Grace'.
- Thalia is also the name of one of the nine Muses, the Muse of idyllic poetry and comedy.
- Thalia likes the band Green Day, as seen in The Titan's Curse. It is also noted she hates Jesse McCartney's music.
- Leo from The Lost Hero has stated that Thalia is very pretty and the type of girl who wouldn't give Leo the time of day.
- Thalia is the only known demigod, besides Percy, who could fight Luke on equal terms. She even stated that she was a better fighter than Luke.
- She and her brother, Jason, are the only siblings that are Greek and Roman.
- Despite premiering in The Sea of Monsters, the second book of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, she did not receive an official artwork until the release of The Demigod Diaries, a companion book in The Heroes of Olympus series.