Demigods, or Half-Bloods, are children born to a mortal and a god, therefore are half-human, half-god. All demigods wield powers connected to the domain of their divine parent and these abilities grow stronger with age. In general, they willingly assist their god parent and/or the gods themselves, using their legendary skills and powers. Many have become great heroes, kings, lords, dictators, etc. Most demigods become heroes like Percy Jackson, others evil like Luke Castellan.
While most demigods are created much like regular humans, children of Athena are born from their mother's thoughts merging with their father's. The other gods are likely able to do similar things, however no known examples of similar births are known.
Most demigods wait forever to be claimed. Children of Athena are claimed at birth, while others have to demonstrate some form of their parents' trait to be noticed, either through cunning, powers, skills like archery, or even beauty. Otherwise, they are placed in Hermes' cabin, and as he is the patron to travelers, anyone is welcomed there, including children of minor gods who aren't important enough to have a cabin. After the Second Olympian War,Percy Jackson made all of the gods swear on the River Styx to recognize all of their children at the age of thirteen, and that each god and goddess (including the minor gods and goddesses) would get a cabin at Camp Half-Bloodand a throne on Olympus.
Few demigods have full-blooded siblings (with the exception of twins), as their godly parent will usually leave their mortal consorts not long after a child is born, or sometimes even before that. However, some examples of demigod siblings in the series include Nico and Bianca di Angelo, Connor and Travis Stoll, Jason and Thalia Grace (who have the same father, but in different aspects), and Castor and Pollux.
Greek demigods often go on quests given to them by the Oracle of Delphi, whom is currently in the body of Rachel Elizabeth Dare. If the demigod is Roman, they are usually issued a quest by Octavian or, in at least one instance, a Roman god.
Demigods are completely indistinguishable from humans. They do not have a divine form, however they do inherit some traits from their god parent's divine form. For example, Percy inherited Poseidon's black hair and sea-green eyes and brooding look, while Annabeth inherited Athena's gray eyes. Thalia and Jason inherited Zeus' electric blue eyes and Nico and Bianca inherited Hades' black hair, dark eyes, and pale skin. The children of Aphrodite inherit her beauty and appeal. The children of Hermes inherit his elfish facial features and Luke inherited his blue eyes. Children of Hephaestus, such as Leo, Jake, Harley, Nyssa, and Beckendorf inherit his skills with mechanics, resulting in them normally having large muscles and calloused hands (from working in the forges all day long).
There are ways to hide or mask the scent, but if a demigod realizes who they truly are, their scent will reach its peak. The scent of children of the Big Three is much more potent than that of lesser demigods. Demigods' personalities tend to vary based on their divine parenthood; for example Percy is reckless and rebellious resembling Poseidon and the untameable seas, Annabeth inherits her mother's wits and intelligence and Clarisse is very violent and warlike, much like her father. There are currently five known children of the Big Three since the death of Bianca di Angelo, a daughter of Hades: Percy Jackson (Son of Poseidon), Thalia Grace (Daughter of Zeus), Jason Grace(Son of Jupiter), Hazel Levesque (daughter of Pluto), and Nico di Angelo (Son of Hades). Most demigods also haveADHD and/or dyslexia (though it varies from demigod to demigod). Demigods are relatively stronger, more agile, and more durable than regular mortals, and have more resistance to diseases.
Roman Demigods, such as Jason Grace, are an unique subset of demigods who train at Camp Jupiter, which is located near San Francisco. They are born when a god conceives a child with a mortal while in their Roman aspect/form. They naturally speak and read Latin, as opposed to Ancient Greek to Greek demigods, and are trained in the style of the Roman legions instead of Greek warfare. Demigods from Camp Jupiter Frank, Reyna, andHazel.Roman demigods start their lives at the Wolf House. It is there that Lupa decides if the child is strong or not. If she believes they are, she will spend time training their demigod skills that they will need to survive. If you make it through the training alive, she will tell you to follow your instincts to find your way toCamp Jupiter, home of the Roman Legion. However, if Lupa doesn't believe you are strong enough or you show fear, it is said you will be eaten. If you manage to make it to Camp Jupiter, a praetor will decide if you can join the Legion before sending you to have your augury read. If it is favorable, then you can officially join the Legion. Like the Greek demigods, they are unaware of the existence of their counterparts at Camp Half-Blood in Long Island, but some have their suspicions.
This is due to a conflict between the two groups back during theAmerican Civil War (and likely many other wars before), after which the gods manipulated the Mist as tightly as possible to stop the two groups from ever meeting each other again, although there have been some close calls. The head of their camp are the camp's two Praetors, who are elected demigods from the camp.
Demigods have ADHD (although it varies between demigods), which hard-wires them for battle, and dyslexia, which they have because their brains are hardwired for reading Ancient Greek or Latin. Demigods inherit some control over their divine parent's domain, such as Percy's ability to manipulate water or Leo's mastery of technology and tools. Some demigods also show some control of magic or curses, such as when the Apollo cabin cursed the Ares cabin to speak in rhymes, or children of Hecate, who have an innate ability to use it. Demigods also have a wide variety of other abilities that they all share, but these abilities vary depending on their godly parent, including superhuman strength, speed, superhuman senses, agility, above-average healing-factor, durability, and endurance.
The Lost Hero mentions that the gods have influence over certain special powers that their children can receive, such as Hephaestus with his children's fire power (such as Leo Valdez), and Aphrodite with charmspeak (such asDrew and Piper McLean).
- Percy Jackson, son of Poseidon
- Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena
- Luke Castellan, son of Hermes (deceased)
- Connor Stoll, son of Hermes
- Travis Stoll, son of Hermes
- Nico di Angelo, son of Hades
- Clarisse La Rue, daughter of Ares
- Charles Beckendorf, son of Hephaestus (deceased)
- Silena Beauregard, daughter of Aphrodite (deceased)
- Katie Gardner, daughter of Demeter
- Jake Mason, son of Hephaestus
- Michael Yew, son of Apollo (MIA, presumed deceased)
- Will Solace, son of Apollo
- Victoria, daughter of Apollo (from the video game only)
- Isaac, son of Hephaestus (from the video game only)
- Austin, son of Apollo
- Kayla, daughter of Apollo
- Lee Fletcher, son of Apollo (deceased)
- Pollux & Castor, Twin sons of Dionysus (Castor deceased)
- Sherman, son of Ares
- Malcolm, son of Athena
- Mark, son of Ares
- Ethan Nakamura, son of Nemesis (deceased)
- Chris Rodriguez, son of Hermes
- Daedalus, son of Athena (deceased)
- Piper McLean, daughter of Aphrodite
- Leo Valdez, son of Hephaestus
- Miranda Gardiner, daughter of Demeter
- Nyssa daughter of Hephaestus
- Shane, son of Hephaestus
- Christopher, son of Hephaestus
- Harley, son of Hephaestus
- Drew, daughter of Aphrodite
- Lacy, daughter of Aphrodite
- Mitchell, son of Aphrodite
- Clovis, son of Hypnos
- Lou Ellen, daughter of Hecate
- Butch, son of Iris
- Laurel, unknown godly parent
- Jason Grace, son of Jupiter
- Gwendolyn (Left camp to pursue college in New Rome)
- Dakota, son of Bacchus
- Hazel Levesque, daughter of Pluto
- Reyna, daughter of Bellona
- Frank Zhang, son of Mars
- Amelia Earhart, daughter of Zeus
- Archimedes, son of Hephaestus
- Daedalus, son of Athena
- Edward Teach (Blackbeard), son of Ares
- Eli Whitney, son of Demeter.
- Eurytion, son of Ares
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, son of Zeus
- Frederic Bartholdi, son of Athena
- George Washington, son of Athena
- Halcyon Green, son of Apollo
- Harriet Tubman, daughter of Hermes
- Harry Houdini, son of Hermes
- Helen of Troy, daughter of Zeus
- Hercules, son of Zeus
- Hippolyta, daughter of Ares
- Joseph Stalin, son of Hades
- Lamia, daughter of Hecate
- Marilyn Monroe, daughter of Aphrodite
- Orion, son of Poseidon
- Otrera, daughter of Ares
- Perseus, son of Zeus
- Theseus, son of Poseidon
- Thomas Faynor, son of Hephaestus
- William H. Seward, son of Hebe
- William Shakespeare, son of Apollo
- William T. Sherman, son of Ares
- Winston Churchill, son of Poseidon
- Jack London, son of Mercury
- Romulus & Remus, twin sons of Mars
- Aeneas, son of Venus
- Phineas, son of Neptune
- Adolf Hitler, son of Pluto
- Ethan Nakamura, son of Nemesis (reformed shortly before his death)
- Chris Rodriguez, son of Hermes (former recruit, reformed)
- Silena Beauregard, daughter of Aphrodite (blackmailed and then forced by Luke into being Kronos' spy).
- Luke Castellan, son of Hermes (Reformed at the end of his life)
- Alabaster Torrington, son of Hecate who appears in The Demigod Diaries.
Many demigods' last names seem to relate to their Olympian parent (its possible that the godly parent either influence or give them their children's name):
- Silena Beauregard, daughter of Aphrodite - Beau regard is French. It literally means "good looking."
- Lee Fletcher, son of Apollo - A fletcher is someone who makes archery arrows.
- Percy Jackson, son of Poseidon - Percy claims his mother named him Perseus, after the son of Zeus. Perseus is a Greek name which means "destroyer". The name has a reference to Poseidon, who is known to cause destruction like storms, earthquakes, shipwrecks, etc., when angered.
- Micheal Yew, son of Apollo - Yew is a favorable choice of wood to use for longbows.
- Nico di Angelo, son of Hades - Nico is most likely derived from the Greek prefix Necro, to mean "dead". Di Angelo means "of angels" in Italian.
- Will Solace, son of Apollo - Though Solace really means "to comfort in distress", just as Will comforted and healed Annabeth when she was injured, Solace could also be a play on the word "Solar".
- Thalia Grace, daughter of Zeus - The name of one of the three Graces (and nine Muses) is Thalia. She too, was a daughter of Zeus. The Muse Thalia sired the Corybantes, with Apollo. This Thalia was also attracted toApollo, saying that he was "hot."
- Pollux & Castor, twin sons of Dionysus - They share the same names as the twins of the Gemini.
- Jake Mason, son of Hephaestus - Mason means "one who works with stone".
- Clarisse La Rue, daughter of Ares - In french, Rue is to regret, as Clarisse inflicts regret to all who face her in battle. Also a LaRue OBR is a type of rifle.
- Travis and Connor Stoll, sons of Hermes - Their name is a homonym for stole, as Hermes is the god of thieves, which was brought up in the Sea of Monsters. Also, 'Travis' is a pun on the word 'travel', since Hermes is the patron of travelers, and 'Connor' is a pun on the word 'con', since Hermes is the god of thieves and con men.
- Katie Gardner, daughter of Demeter - Demeter is the goddess of the harvest and her last name refers to one who gardens or works with plants.
- Miranda Gardiner, daughter of Demeter - Demeter is the goddess of the harvest and her last name refers to one who gardens or works with plants.
- Jason Grace, son of Jupiter - He was named after the original Jason to appease Hera's wrath, because Jason was her favorite hero.
- Piper McLean, daughter of Aphrodite - Piper was named "Piper" because of her charm speak, bestowed by Aphrodite.
- Leo Valdez, son of Hephaestus - Leo is the zodiac sign for a lion, and the element for Leo is fire. It may also be a reference to Leonardo Da Vinci, a famous inventor.
- Frank Zhang, son of Mars, legacy of Poseidon- Frank name means bow and spear and his dad is the god of war. Zhang is Chinese for 'Master of Bows', as mentioned in The Son of Neptune.
- Hazel Levesque, daughter of Pluto - She is named after jewel which her dad controls.